Wednesday, July 17, 2013

THREE KINDS OF BUSINESS

THREE KINDS OF BUSINESS
(A Powerful reminder for today)

In "The Work", Byron Katie explains about the 3 kinds of businesses. Much of our stress is living out of our own business. Every time we are hurt we are surely out of our business.

If we're not sure, Katie asks us to stop and ask, "Mentally, whose business am I in?"

There are only three kinds of business in the universe: mine, yours, and God's.

Whose business is it if an earthquake happens? God's business. When I am worried about earthquakes, floods, war, or death,.... then I am in God's business.

Whose business is it if your neighbor down the street has an ugly lawn? Your neighbor's business. When I think "you need to get a job, I want you to be happy, I want your place to be clean etc..... then I am in my neighbor's business.

If I think mentally that "my mother should understand me" then I am in my mother's business.

When I am mentally in your business or God's business the effect is separation. Immediately a feeling of loneliness arises. Every time we feel hurt or lonely we have definitely been in someone else's business.
Life is simple—it is internal.

Katie asks us to count, in five minute intervals, how many times we are in someone else's business mentally. Notice when we give uninvited advice or offer our opinion about something (aloud or silently).

It is good to ask ourselves: "Am I in their business? Did they ask me for my advice?" And more importantly, "Can I take the advice I am offering and apply it to my life?"

Being in other's business and living other's lives, there is no one here living our life for us, and then we start wondering why life doesn't work!

To think that we know what is best for anyone else is to be out of our business. Even in the name of love, it is pure arrogance, and the result is tension, anxiety, and fear.

Do I know what's right for me? That is my only business. Let me work with that before I try to solve your problems for you.

No comments: